Cookies help us deliver the best experience on our website. By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies Dismiss

SEEMP survey highlights lack of awareness

A survey conducted by ship design software company NAPA Group into preparation levels for the upcoming IMO ship energy efficiency management plan (SEEMP) has revealed a major divide between large and small shipping companies in the use of electronic systems to ensure compliance.

The survey, completed by over fifty ship owners, operators and charterers, revealed that the industry is taking responsibility for SEEMP compliance seriously and is optimistic about its benefits. However, the focus for most respondents was to ensure compliance and maintain a business-as-usual approach.

Individual responses to the survey described SEEMP as “absolutely needed”, “long overdue” and “one of the best practices”; an assertion re-enforced by the fact that 79 per cent of respondent organisations already have a system in place for SEEMP compliance.

Company size was identified as a key factor in levels of preparedness – 95 per cent of those responsible for 30+ vessels are “prepared”, with the remaining 5 per cent in the final stages, compared to companies with 5-15 vessels who had the lowest preparation rate at only 43 per cent.

36 per cent of respondents were prepared for paper SEEMP, and 45 per cent for electronic. Organisation size was the greatest determining factor in choosing the method of SEEMP - 62 per cent of those with 60+ vessels are opting for electronic, while 67 per cent of those with fewer than five vessels chose paper.

70 per cent of those without a plan in place for SEEMP believe electronic systems would be the best solution.

The results also suggest however that, even though slightly more respondents are using electronic systems, most are not planning to use the data collected under the SEEMP to try and improve their fuel efficiency.

In fact, the survey found that 60 per cent of the market was unaware that compliance with SEEMP could also create further fuel saving potential.

“It is enormously positive to find that the industry is so prepared for the upcoming SEEMP regulation – however it is important to understand that in utilising electronic SEEMP and modern software solutions savings of as much as 20 per cent can be achieved,” said Esa Henttinen, vice president, business development at NAPA for Operations.

“NAPA has long maintained that SEEMP regulation is there to help owners and operators help themselves and it is heartening to see that this opinion is shared by most of our survey participants.”

“The survey results highlights that there is still scope for more education around SEEMP before it becomes mandatory. Moreover, the survey shows that there is a significant percentage of organisations that don’t realise they can achieve 15 to 20 per cent in bunker fuel savings – the opportunity is there for owners and operators to substantially reduce operating costs and emissions. Unless this is widely known SEEMP may not live up to its potential and fully benefit the industry.”

Related items

Joomla SEF URLs by Artio

Login/Register

Register or Login to view even more of our content. Basic registration is free.

Register now

Digital Ship magazine provides the latest information about maritime satellite communications technology, software systems, navigation technology, computer networks, data management and TMSA. It is published ten times a year.

 

Address:
Digital Ship Ltd
United House
North Road
London
N7 9DP
United Kingdom

Copyright © 2019 Digital Ship Ltd. All rights reserved           Cookie Policy         Privacy Policy